Light, fluffy and zesty lemon drizzle cake. It always goes down well. The perfect balance of sweet and sour, we’re confident this Aquafaba recipe won’t disappoint the lemon lovers amongst us.
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 50-60 minutes
- 300g plain flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 100ml dairy-free milk*
- 60ml vegetable/sunflower oil
- 150ml OGGS® Aquafaba
- 2tsp baking powder
- zest of 2 whole lemons (finely grated)*Any milk will work, but we particularly love almond milk in this recipe
- juice of 1 lemon (same lemon)
- 90g granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160° if using a fan oven)/ gas mark 4 and line your loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Combine all the ingredients together apart from the lemon and the Aquafaba. The consistency might be quite dough-like but don’t worry, it’s completely normal.
- Whisk up your OGGS® Aquafaba until it’s light, pale and forms soft peaks. This should take between 2-3 minutes. Once achieved, slowly pour the Aquafaba into the doughy mixture and mix well.
- Finally, add the grated lemon zest in and fold in gently until its well combined- shake the grater to ensure all the zest escapes.
- Cook for between 50—60 minutes until it’s risen (particularly in the middle) and golden on the top.
- Whilst the loaf is cooling, make the sticky glaze by stirring the two ingredients together. We like to use a measuring jug, so it pours nicely onto the loaf
- Using a knife, prod holes into the loaf whilst it’s still in the tin and then pour over the glaze. It will go into the loaf this way and be extra yummy. We suggest keeping it in the tin until it’s completely cooled down and the glaze has stiffened. This way, it’s a bit more sophisticated when you try and move it… and perfectly crunchy on the edges!
- You’ll be able to tell if your cakes are fully cooked, if they spring back when you gently press their tops. However, if you’re not fully confident with this method, simply use the knife/tooth pick trick. If they come out clean after being placed in the centre of the cake, whack them out.
- We love lemon with raspberries, so we add some to the mixture which not only looks blooming beautiful, also tastes amazing!