Wave goodbye to stodgy vegan bakes with this lighter-than-air classic Victoria Sponge, filled with creamy vanilla frosting and juicy fresh strawberries.
For the Sponge
- 50ml OGGS® Aquafaba
- 300g caster sugar
- 200g coconut yoghurt (we used KOKO plain Coconut Yoghurt)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 200g dairy-free spread, plus extra for greasing (Pure Dairy Free, Perfect for Baking is great in this cake)
- 400g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the Frosting
- 150g dairy-free spread
- 300g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
- 300g strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, gas 4. Grease and line x2 20cm springform cake tins with dairy-free spread and greaseproof paper. Weight out all the ingredients into separate bowls.
- In a medium sized, scrupulously clean bowl, use an electric whisk to beat the OGGS® Aquafaba for 2 mins until it is white, fluffy and firmly holding its shape. Add 3 tablespoons of the measured caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating between each addition until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Mix together the coconut yoghurt and vanilla extract.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the dairy-free spread and remaining caster sugar together for 3-5 mins until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the coconut yoghurt and vanilla mix, whisking between each addition, adding a tablespoon of the weighed flour if the mix starts to separate. Whisk in the remaining flour and baking powder until you have a smooth batter.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold 1/3rd of the whisked OGGS® Aquafaba into the batter until evenly combined, then gently fold in the remaining Aquafaba until you have a smooth, fluffy batter. Divide the mix between the prepared cake tins, smooth the tops with the back of a spoon and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 35-40 mins until golden, risen and a skewer comes out cleanly when inserted in the middle. Cool in the tins for 15 mins then remove to a wire rack and set aside to cool fully.
- To make the frosting, beat the dairy-free spread for 1 min until pale and smooth. Sift in the icing sugar, add the vanilla extract and beat for 5 mins until pale and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over one of the cooled cakes, top with the jam and a handful of strawberries then sandwich with the second cake. Pile the remaining strawberries on top and dust with a little icing sugar to serve.
- Freeze your un-iced sponges for up to 2 months. Defrost at room temperature before icing ready to serve.
- If you’re planning on eating this cake over a few days then serve the strawberries on the side.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.