PREP TIME 1.5 hours
COOK TIME 45 minutes
- 25g OGGS® Aquafaba
- 155g margarine or dairy free butter
- 240g plain flour + a little more for rolling
- 80g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 20g flaxseed flour or powder, milled flaxseed is also fine!
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g OGGS® Aquafaba
- 80g caster sugar
- 40ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 100g ground almonds
- 40g plain flour
- 1 tsp plant-based milk
- 1 x 400g tinned apricot halves
- 40g apricot jam glaze
- 30g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan (180°C / Gas 5). Grease a 20cm tart tin with a loose base.
- Chop the margarine into small chunks and rub with the flour, sugar and salt to form flakes.
- Mix the flaxseed flour with the OGGS® Aquafaba, lemon zest and vanilla. Flaxseed adds a nutty flavour but if you don't have any don't worry, just add an extra 20g of either plain or wholemeal flour.
- Mix all together (by hand or in a food processor) and knead well. You should have a well-formed ball of dough. Wrap in cling film and pop in the fridge for 1/2 - 1 hour.
- Roll out your pastry dough between two sheets of baking paper with a dusting of flour until just under ½ cm thick. Using the rolling pin, pick up the dough and place into the tart tin. Prick the pastry with a fork.
- Blind bake with beans and baking paper for 20 minutes and then remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Whack the oven up to 180°C Fan (200°C / Gas 7).
- Frangipane - whisk your OGGS® Aquafaba with an electric whisk, until you reach stiff peaks. Slowly add the caster sugar and continue mixing ‘til the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Add the oil, lemon zest and almond extract and whisk slowly for ten seconds.
- Fold the ground almond, plain flour and milk into the Aquafaba mixture, then pour into the pastry tart shell. Don’t fill it too high – allow a ½ cm space at the top.
- Strain the apricots from their liquid, pat dry with kitchen paper and arrange on the mixture in a circular pattern, then bake in the oven at 180°C for 40 minutes, then add the apricot jam glaze and sprinkle with the flaked almonds on top. Bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Heat the apricot jam with a splash of water and brush over the tart and sprinkle your almonds on top.
- This is extra yummy served with coconut yogurt or plant-based custard!