Sweet, spicy, sticky and indulgent, these ‘sausage’ rolls hit the spot when it comes to savoury cravings. The OGGS® aquafaba helps bind the filling and also works a treat as a glaze, giving your ‘sausage’ rolls extra gloss.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300g vegan sausage, roughly chopped (we love Heck’s Meat Free Italian sausages)
- 60g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 1 ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp OGGS® aquafaba, plus extra for glazing
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry (Jus-Rol puff pastry is a great vegan choice)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds or nigella seeds
- Sweet chilli jam, to serve (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the ‘sausage’, walnuts, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, paprika, chilli flakes (optional) and cumin for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is golden and piping hot and the onion is soft. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend the mix in a food processor until it forms a rough paste. Cool fully.
2. Whisk the OGGS® aquafaba until pale and fluffy then stir through the cooled ‘sausage’ mix until evenly combined.
3. Unroll the pastry and cut in half widthways. Spoon the ‘sausage’ mix down the middle of both pieces of pastry. Brush the exposed pastry with OGGS® aquafaba then roll up tightly to create x2 logs. Brush the top with OGGS® aquafaba and sprinkle with the poppy or nigella seeds. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes then cut into 12 slices using a serrated knife.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
5. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper and top with the sausage rolls evenly spaced apart. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden, crisp and slightly risen.
6. Leave to cool for 10 minutes then serve with a bowl of chilli jam for dipping (optional).
• These sausage rolls will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Pop into a hot oven to refresh and crisp up the pastry before serving.
• Get freezing – Make the sausage rolls up to the end of step 4 then freeze. Defrost fully in the fridge before baking.