Sweet, spicy, sticky and indulgent, these ‘sausage’ rolls hit the spot when it comes to savoury cravings. The OGGS® Aquafaba helps bind the filling and also works a treat as a glaze, giving your ‘sausage’ rolls extra gloss.
- 50ml OGGS® Aquafaba, plus extra for glazing
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300g vegan sausage, skinned and roughly chopped
- 60g walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 1 ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry (Jus-Rol puff pastry is a great vegan choice)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds or nigella seeds
- Sweet chilli jam, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the ‘sausage’, walnuts, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, paprika, chilli flakes (optional) and cumin for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is golden and piping hot and the onion is soft. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend the mix in a food processor until it forms a rough paste.
- Add the OGGS® Aquafaba and combine then cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Fan (200°C / Gas 6).
- Unroll the pastry and cut in half widthways. Spoon the ‘sausage’ mix down the middle of both pieces of pastry. Brush the exposed pastry with OGGS® Aquafaba then roll up tightly to create x2 logs. Brush the top with OGGS® Aquafaba and sprinkle with the poppy or nigella seeds. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes then cut into 12 slices using a serrated knife.
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper and top with the sausage rolls evenly spaced apart. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden, crisp and slightly risen.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes then serve with a bowl of chilli jam for dipping (optional).
• These sausage rolls will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Pop into a hot oven to refresh and crisp up the pastry before serving.
• Get freezing – Make the sausage rolls up to the end of step 4 then freeze. Defrost fully in the fridge before cooking.