- 220ml warm water
- 50g margarine/ dairy-free butter alternative
- 100ml OGGS® Aquafaba
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 110g plain flour
- 150g Rhythm 108 Sweet’N’Salty Almond chocolate, chopped
- 200ml sunflower oil (for frying)
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- To a medium saucepan, add the water, margarine, OGGS® Aquafaba, brown sugar and vanilla essence. Using a hand whisk, mix all the ingredients together. Bring the saucepan to a boil and remove from heat as soon as bubbles start to simmer on the surface.
- Add the flour to the piping hot mixture and gently fold in with a spatula. The batter should form into a smooth ball that pulls away from the sides of the saucepan.
- Leave the batter to cool for ten minutes and focus on your chocolate sauce. In a bain-marie, melt the chopped chocolate. Keep a close eye on it though, because you don’t want it to cook! Once the chocolate has melted, leave to the side to cool.
- Preheat another saucepan with oil to 175°C. If you don’t have a thermometer, wait ’til you see little bubbles start to float to the top and test a little batter in it. The batter should sizzle and float to the top without burning.
- Transfer the churros batter into a piping bag, with a large tip. If you don’t have this, simply cut off the end where you think would make the perfect churros shape.
- Pipe the churros batter directly into the oil, using a knife or a pair of scissors to begin and end each churro. In a medium-size saucepan, we estimate you’ll be able to fry 3-5 at a time, provided they’re roughly 5 inches long. Fry for 4-5 minutes and keep giving them a gentle prod to ensure they’re golden and crisp all the way round.
- With a slotted spoon, remove each churro and place directly onto a piece of kitchen roll to mop up any excess oil.
- In a shallow bowl, add the white sugar and cinnamon and mix well. When the churros are still warm, gently toss them in the cinnamon sugar to coat them fully.
- Finally, dunk one side of each churro into your melted chocolate sauce for a totally irresistible finish.
- Try not to lick your lips!
Churros get soggy quickly, so we suggest eating them while they’re still warm!