Whether you go the whole hog and decorate this with rounds of sliced orange, or opt for a quick dusting of icing sugar, this cake is a fantastic recipe to have up your sleeve. It’s rich with almonds, scented with orange and cinnamon, and gorgeous with a dollop of plant-based cream or ice cream on the side.
- 100g whole almonds
- 100g ground almonds
- 75g self-raising flour
- 125g golden caster sugar
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, if you have it in
- 200ml carton OGGS Aquafaba
- 40g vegan block butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C if using a fan oven/gas mark 4. Line the base of an 18cm round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Whiz the whole almonds in a food processor until ground down – pulse the machine so that the nuts don’t become oily and stop when they look finely chopped. They should still have a rubble-like texture and not be too sand-like.
- Tip into a bowl, then add the ground almonds, flour, around 100g caster sugar, orange zest and ground cinnamon.
- Whisk the OGGS Aquafaba in a clean, grease-free bowl with an electric hand whisk until the mixture is quite stiff – this will take around 5-7 minutes. Whisk in the rest of the sugar – around 25g.
- Stir the cooled block butter into the nut mixture. Then, using a clean spoon, fold in the whisked Aquafaba in three or four stages, until all the ingredients come together.
- Spoon into the lined tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes – 1 hour 30 minutes until dark golden. This may seem like a long cooking time, but it’s essential to bake all the ingredients and still leave the inside lovely and moist.
- Cool in the tin. Upturn onto a plate, remove the paper and discard. Dust with icing sugar and serve in thin slices.
For a fancy finish, try this. Toast 2 tbsp flaked almonds in a pan over a medium heat until just golden. Set aside. Put the zested orange on a board and carefully slice the top and bottom off it. Sit it on one end and use a sharp knife to carve around the outside and remove the peel and pith. Slice into thin rounds and arrange on top, then scatter the flaked almonds over the orange. Dust with icing sugar before serving.