How’s this for a festive showstopper? Mini melted snowman meringues, made vegan using OGGS® Aquafaba.
PREP TIME 20 min
COOK TIME 2 hr
SERVES 30 snowmen
For the meringue
- 100ml OGGS® Aquafaba
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the icing
- 40ml OGGS® Aquafaba
- 100g icing sugar
- Food colouring (we like Wilton colouring gels)
- Make sure all the equipment and utensils you’re using are super clean and completely oil free. Even the smallest bit of grease can turn your perfect peaks into a sticky mess.
- Preheat oven to 100°c/ gas mark 1.5 and line a baking tray with parchment paper. If you’re making larger nests, you may want to use separate trays.
- With an electric whisk, whisk your OGGS® Aquafaba starting on a medium speed and gradually build your speed up (so you don’t risk getting showered in Aquafaba!) Beat for 2 minutes until medium peaks form.
- Add the cream of tartar and beat with the mixer on the highest speed until stiff peaks form.
- One tablespoon at a time, slowly add the sugar and continue mixing, until all the sugar is gone. Scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple of times to ensure getting all the sugar into the mix. The mixture should be so stiff, it doesn’t shift at all.
- Transfer the meringue into a piping bag with a round nozzles and pipe snowmen shapes, one ball onto another onto a baking tray.
- Bake for 2h at 100c.
- Make the royal icing by combining icing sugar with Aquafaba, adding the Aquafaba one teaspoon at a time and checking the consistency in between.
- The icing should be the consistency of yogurt.
- Make 3 colours: black, pink and orange or more if you prefer.
- Pour the royal icing into piping bags and draw eyes, carrot nose and smile onto the snowmen.