A few left over Hot Cross Buns, and want to take them to the next level…?
- 50g Pecan Nuts, crushed
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- Favourite Vegan Ice-cream
Hot Cross Bun French Toast
- 4 Hot Cross Buns, sliced inn half
- 75ml OGGS Aquafaba
- 50ml dairy-free milk
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 tsp margarine per hot cross bun, for frying
- Start with your pecans! Crush or finely chop them and then whack the small pieces into a dry frying pan on a low-medium heat, continuously stirring them. You will notice they let off an aroma once they’ve been cooking after a few minutes. It’s important to keep a close eye on them, as they’ll quickly burn, at this point. Sprinkle over the light brown sugar and stir until they’re well coated and take them off the heat almost immediately. Set aside on parchment paper, spread out to stop them from sticking together.
- Next, your dipping sauce. Lightly whisk your OGGS Aquafaba ‘til it’s pale and frothy. Combine the milk, turmeric and vanilla essence and keep whisking.
- Dip each Hot Cross Bun slice into the mixture individually and place onto a dry plate, ready to be fried.
- Melt the margarine in a shallow frying pan over a medium heat. Gently lower each slice of Hot Cross Bun into the frying pan and flip after a minute on each side. Keep flipping until you’re happy with how brown it is. In true French Toast fashion, the browner the better!
- To serve, lean two slices on top of one another, topped with a generous scoop of your favourite ice-cream (we think a simple Vanilla works perfectly for this recipe) and sprinkle over the caramelised pecan nuts.
1. Serve as soon as it’s out of the frying pan…best devoured warm!