We love our sticky yet crunchy Bang-Bang broccoli recipe. Inspired by a Chinese favourite, and jazzed up with a little OOGS love, we know you won’t stop banging on about it either.
- 1 medium head of broccoli
- 100ml OGGS Aquafaba
- 70g plain flour
- 40g cornflour
- 2tbsp any dairy-free milk
- 2tbsp chilli sauce of your choice
- 1tbsp garlic powder/ crushed garlic (optional)
- A squeeze of juicy lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2tbsp breadcrumbs (optional)
- 100ml sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
AQUAFABA Sticky Sauce:
- 50ml OGGS Aquafaba
- 1tbsp chilli sauce of your choice
- 1tbsp agave nectar* or honey
- Handful of chives, finely chopped
- Handful of peanuts, roughly chopped
*our favourite honey replacement
- Break your broccoli into small florets, not too big, otherwise they won’t cook when you fry them.
- Pour your OGGS Aquafaba into a clean bowl and whisk with an electric hand whisk until it forms stiff peaks and doesn’t shift in the bowl. This will take roughly 3 minutes of whisking on a high speed.
- Add the flour, cornflour, milk, chili sauce, garlic, lemon, a pinch of salt and pepper into the whisked Aquafaba and gently fold everything together. The Aquafaba will deflate slightly, but that’s okay, It should still be lovely and thick.
- Start heating up the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, until it begins to simmer and sizzle.
- Pop the florets into the batter and give them a good old stir to ensure they’re fully coated in a thick layer of batter. This will be easier than dunking them individually.
- Next, use a spoon to gently lower the coated broccoli into the piping hot oil and sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top as they cook. Turn them every two minutes to make sure each side is golden, and so that they don’t stick to the pan!
- After about 6-7 minutes of frying and you’re happy with how crispy they are, pop them onto a piece of kitchen roll to soak up any excess oil.
- Now for the sticky sauce. Pop all the liquid ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Spoon this over the top to glaze, while the bang-bang broccoli is still warm. Sprinkle over the chives and peanuts and you’ve got yourself a blooming great next ten minutes.
- Eat them quickly because there’s nothing bang-bang about soggy broccoli.
- If you like things super spicy, go wild with the chili sauce, we’ll leave that to you!