Click to see how it’s made
We love our sticky yet crunchy Bang-Bang broccoli recipe. Inspired by a Chinese favourite, and jazzed up with a little OOGS® love, we know you won’t stop banging on about it either.
PREP TIME 15 Minutes
COOK TIME 6-8 minutes
SERVES 4 sides
- 100ml OGGS® Aquafaba
- 1 medium head of broccoli
- 70g plain flour
- 40g cornflour
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce of your choice (we like sweet chilli or sriracha!)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder/ crushed garlic (optional)
- A squeeze of juicy lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs (optional)
- 100ml sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
- 50ml OGGS® Aquafaba
- 1tbsp chilli sauce of your choice
- 1tbsp agave nectar (our favourite honey replacement) or honey
- Handful of chives, finely chopped
- Handful of peanuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- Break your broccoli into small florets, not too big, otherwise they won’t cook when you fry them.
- Pour your OGGS® Aquafaba into a clean bowl and whisk with an electric hand whisk until it forms stiff peaks and doesn’t shift in the bowl. This will take roughly 3 minutes of whisking on a high speed.
- Add the flour, cornflour, milk, chili sauce, garlic, lemon, a pinch of salt and pepper into the whisked OGGS® Aquafaba and gently fold everything together. The Aquafaba will deflate slightly, but that’s okay, It should still be lovely and thick.
- Start heating up the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, until it begins to simmer and sizzle.
- Pop the florets into the batter and give them a good old stir to ensure they’re fully coated in a thick layer of batter. This will be easier than dunking them individually.
- Next, use a spoon to gently lower the coated broccoli into the piping hot oil and sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top as they cook. Turn them every two minutes to make sure each side is golden, and so that they don’t stick to the pan!
- After about 6-7 minutes of frying and you’re happy with how crispy they are, pop them onto a piece of kitchen roll to soak up any excess oil.
- Now for the sticky sauce. Pop all the liquid ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Spoon this over the top to glaze, while the bang-bang broccoli is still warm. Sprinkle over the chives and peanuts and you’ve got yourself a blooming great next ten minutes!
- Eat them quickly because there’s nothing bang-bang about soggy broccoli!
- If you like things super spicy, go wild with the chilli sauce, we’ll leave that to you!